Wheel weight adhesive removal ?? - - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion | baltiyskiy-vokzal.ru
Show Your Support Become A Premier Member

> >
  • Reload this Page >
    • Wheel weight adhesive removal ??

Wheel weight adhesive removal ??

Old 06-14-2010, 02:08 AM
Wheel weight adhesive removal ??

so my rims were recently rebalanced in the front and there is leftover weight adhesive on the inside from the old weights .. my rims are powder coated black so I'm iffy on trying certain products to remove it .. I tried goof off on the back inside of one of my rim spokes and I literally saw black on my rag as if it was taking the powder coating off the back of my rim so that freaked me out enough to find out which product to use .. some people say WD-40 and others are saying 3m Adhesive Remover .. which one would get this stuff off and NOT take any of my powder coating off .. also, I thought powder coat was supposed to be super strong .. is goof off just THAT crazy strong that it would take off the finish ?? thanks a lot
Old 06-14-2010, 02:55 AM
Wings Nation
WD-40 works as does isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol. Clean up with soap and water immediately afterward.

FYI, you should have used Goo Gone, not Goof Off. Goo Gone is much more mild. Do a google search for "goof off vs goo gone".
Old 06-14-2010, 03:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigc View Post
WD-40 works as does isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol. Clean up with soap and water immediately afterward.

FYI, you should have used Goo Gone, not Goof Off. Goo Gone is much more mild. Do a google search for "goof off vs goo gone".
thanks for the reply .. I actually HAD goo gone but the container exploded somehow in my trunk so I had a lemony smell for a while .. I have WD in my garage so I'll try that first before even thinking about the 3m .. I just wanted to make sure that THIS wasn't going to take off the finish as well lol bad enough you pay a pretty good amount to get your rims powder coated and have to worry about rocks and hater vandalizers now I have to worry about every single product before putting it on
Old 06-14-2010, 04:52 AM
Or Simple Green.
Old 06-14-2010, 07:15 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo
Thanked 1,223 Times in 989 Posts
I don't think that was powdercoating that was coming off. More likely it was a mix of dirt and brake dust on your rag. Goo Gone should be fine.
Old 06-14-2010, 01:21 PM
^ +1, Im sure that it was mostly dirt and brake dust. Also use wd 40, that should be quite sufficient.
Old 06-14-2010, 02:03 PM
I got some duct tape adhesive on my dress shoe the other day. Used WD40 to clean it off. Didn't even remove the shoe polish but rubbed the adhesive residue right off. WD40 will be plenty safe on your rims.
Old 06-15-2010, 12:10 AM
brake cleaner, i saw it done when i had new tires put on recently