Stillen True Dual Catback Exhaust - Review ( Yet Another? lol ) - - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion | baltiyskiy-vokzal.ru
Show Your Support Become A Premier Member

> >
  • Reload this Page >
    • Stillen True Dual Catback Exhaust - Review ( Yet Another? lol )

Stillen True Dual Catback Exhaust - Review ( Yet Another? lol )

Old 07-29-2009, 04:27 PM
Stillen True Dual Catback Exhaust - Review ( Yet Another? lol )

So I picked up a stillen Dual Catback Exhaust from a member on here slightly used and was all stoked about throwing it on. I ran out the next day and had it put on but here I am now seriously frustrated with the level of noise in the cabin! Sounds Great from the outside.. the exhaust note is Just what these cars need to set off their already exotic sports car look.. but I simply cannot live with the drone on the exhaust. I used to enjoy my sound system and talking to passengers but after installing the stillen those important parts of enjoyable driving are lost almost completely =(.

It's been said on other reviews that this is a great exhaust for Freeway driving but not street driving.. I didnt take it seriously enough I guess because that is very true.

So I'll be giving it a week more then its probably going up for sale again on the marketplace =(( How sad, guess im doomed to a life of high pitched ricer exhaust or wonderful but muted stock exhaust... =((
Old 07-29-2009, 06:39 PM
how much do you want to sell it for?
Old 07-29-2009, 06:48 PM
Red Card Crew
Do you know if it's a GenI or GenII? It's great to hear about exhaust reviews at any time. How did you like the performance? Any low end gain or loss?

Unfortunately, you're stuck with the sound unless you sell or try to modify it. I added a resonated X pipe Magnaflow to my Borla dual and it cut down the drone a good amount. Enough to make it acceptable for you? Hard to tell. It didn't eliminate it. But it it did cut it in 1/2 or more. And this X replaced a 2 in / 2 out borla pre-muffler.

You already have an X so this would purely be for sound suppression and not for performance. Since I was replacing a non-X, I got performance and sound suppression. So that justified my choice to try to replace it.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:16 PM
SLICK
Thanked 1,049 Times in 934 Posts
Don't give up, you have an excellent exhaust system!

The Stillen dual exhaust is a great system, are you positive you don't have leaks possibly the cause of what you're hearing? The Stillen was designed by Magnaflow using their cross over or X as you refereed to it. It's purpose is to blend the pulses from each bank and actually makes a few HP just by itself. You may have to get the slip joints welded or new gaskets (use OEM gaskets only), especially since it's a used system.
Gary

Last edited by gary c; 07-30-2009 at 11:35 AM.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:25 PM
Red Card Crew
I don't think anything on the Stillen is slip fitted. But the Borla is.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:45 PM
add a resonator.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:51 PM
sucks man hope you find a solution
Old 07-29-2009, 11:05 PM
If you go with a different setup, you might want to take a look at HKS Hi-Power or Fast Intentions. I have the HKS myself and really like it. Barely any cabin drone.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by InZGame17 View Post
It's been said on other reviews that this is a great exhaust for Freeway driving but not street driving.. I didnt take it seriously enough I guess because that is very true.
That's pretty much what I'd want in an exhaust... loud on the backroads when you're on it, but not droning on the highway.
Old 07-30-2009, 02:02 AM
say what?? I have the Stillen SS headers, HFC's and Gen 2 Cat Back and I love the sound a little drone yes but not unbearable. Just like gary c said maybe you have a leak or something
Old 07-30-2009, 11:50 AM
SLICK
Thanked 1,049 Times in 934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff92se View Post
I don't think anything on the Stillen is slip fitted. But the Borla is.
Jeff, I believe there's two slip joints. I disassembled mine twice, that was my first aftermarket exhaust compliments of my contact at Magnaflow. Borla, that's a terrible word when describing quality exhaust!
Gary
Old 07-31-2009, 04:23 PM
so I just had the Stillen Taken off, the shop I used said there isnt much they can do other than try to modify the stillen design and add a resonator type thing. They advised there wouldnt be much improvement though.

Anyway after pulling away with the stock back on I noticed that the stock and stillen are about the same volume until 2k RPMS, but the stillen has a deeper tone. At a little over 2k the stock sound disappears which is where I do most of my city driving but the stillen didnt disappear ( infact it was louder ) until about 3.2k RPMS...

Again its REALLY too bad that the stillen did that on my engine. The guys were telling me that no two engines are the same either. The stillen definatly looked better design wise, sounded better under power, and gave performance gains. With the stock back on I noticed ( foot dyno ) a drop in mid-high end pull. My unit is bone stock performance wise so maybe that played a roll too.

The stillen in really good condition, ill have it up on the marketplace sometime soon.
Old 07-31-2009, 06:01 PM
Red Card Crew
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary c View Post
Jeff, I believe there's two slip joints. I disassembled mine twice, that was my first aftermarket exhaust compliments of my contact at Magnaflow. Borla, that's a terrible word when describing quality exhaust!
Gary
Must be in the front or in the rear of the coupe version (vs sedan version).

I have the borla for the sedan. Got it used. Considering some of the pipes had to be made round again, the fitment was pretty good. It's been solid for the 1 year+ I've had it on.
Old 08-03-2009, 01:41 AM
Anyone interested in buying it? Great shape, will sell for a little less than I just bought it for picked-up or shipped for the same I paid picked up. 750$ shipped is a steal, ill post pics tomorrow so PM me if interested! Thanks!